Wednesday 25 March 2009

Positive reactions

Since we are stuck at Sowerby Bridge for a couple of weeks because of the Cooper Bridge hold-ups I can’t talk about our travels so I will ramble generally about other things. One of the (good) surprises we’ve had is everyone’s reaction to our news about buying a narrowboat. All have said ‘wow that’s great’ or ‘I’ve always wanted to have/try a narrowboat, to live on or holiday’. Not one has said ‘you must be mad’ or made any negative comments. I think narrowboats (or maybe boats in general) must hit some buried wondrous memory from childhood (some would say steam trains do the same), also, so far on our meagre travels most people on the towpath (except perhaps anglers) smile as you go by. I think it’s the tranquil aura and slow pace of the boat that helps, at least on the straight bits, it’s not so tranquil at the locks.

No comments:

Post a Comment